Monday, July 6, 2009

My story

Ive decided to do it. Here, in my blog, I'm going to post the prologue to my story, to see what people think of it. BE HONEST.

Prologue

Insanity
In*san"i*ty\, n. [L. insanitas unsoundness; cf. insania insanity, F. insanite.]

1. The state of being insane; unsoundness or derangement of mind; madness; lunacy.

2. (Law) Such a mental condition, as, either from the existence of delusions, or from incapacity to distinguish between right and wrong, with regard to any matter under action, does away with individual responsibility.

Syn: Syn>- Insanity, Lunacy, Madness, Derangement, Aliention, Aberration, Mania, Delirium, Frenzy, Monomania, Dementia.



It started with a dream. That’s all. Just a sequence of images I happened to see while I was sleeping. It seems cliché, but that‘s the only beginning I can offer. It was dreaming that threw my life upside down. My life…was it my life? I’m still not sure. Am I living, even now? In spite of everything I understand at present, I can’t know for sure. I’ve learned, not to take anything for granted, and to never put your faith in anything, no matter how concrete it seems.

Being insane is slightly unsettling. Knowing you’re insane and having no idea what to do about it? Considerably more disturbing. It isn’t all hallucinations and fanatical suspicions. You start to wonder if everything you are seeing is a delusion, and if it is, you don’t want to even consider what is real. You can’t tell anyone the things you see because you dread their reaction, and the possibility of having someone else tell you how crazy you are is equally horrific. Eventually, you feel like no one else is sane, because you know that what you’ve seen and heard is real.

But still, no one else sees what you see, even the people you love. Despite your friend’s and family’s love for you, that could previously accept all of your past flaws, there are things that can overcome love. And you realize the most important thing; crazy or not, these people are afraid of you. And what has humanity always done to those of us they are scared of?

They lock us away.






(Tell me what you think.)

3 comments:

  1. That's definitely a great beginning. The narrator's emotions seem real, which makes her easy to identify with. I think it's important to be able to empathize with whatever the main character is going through, no matter how fantastic. As the reader, you need to be able to put yourself in her shoes, and even after three paragraphs, the character seems real enough that I'm there. And, on an equally important level, you've given some answers, while presenting some bigger questions. You're building a sense of mystery that's enticing. I want to find out more about what this character has been through and why she thinks she might be crazy. Great work, as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This is an amazing start! It really draws the reader in... and I'd totally read this story! Im so happy for you Katie! This story is gonna take you places and start an amazing life for you! I can really see this being published! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally love your hook is amazing! go katie! It seems dark and exciting yes!

    ReplyDelete