Friday, June 26, 2009

Maybe its just me, but...


Doesn't it seem like we are always waiting for something? I mean, near the end of school, everyone says that life will be just a little bit better, a little easier, when everyone is graduated and all grown up, going off to college.

But then, look what else we tell ourselves. Things will be better and easier, and everyone will feel more complete, when we have jobs doing something we want to do. Then when we get married. Maybe when we have kids. Buying a house will surely change things. Make sure the kids are going to college.

My point, if you didn't get it, is that we spend most of our lives waiting to be happier because of whatever happens next. We focus so much on the future, and our future happiness, that we waste all of the time that we could have just sat down and realized how much we have achieved, and how little we need to get married, buy a house, or settle down.

One of my best
friends woke me up this morning with a phone call, and through talking to her, I realized that I don't need anything to make me happy. I don't need to get married or have kids, buy a house, or do anything to MAKE myself happier. I have no reason to not be happy where I am right now; 18 years old, fresh from high school, healthy, free, and able to do anything with my life.

Im feeling extremely grateful for breathing, today, if you can't tell. So, I've decided that I'm going to focus on making sure I am always able to recognize where I am in life and always be able to just accept it. And, through that, I'll let myself be happy NOW, before I'm 80 and have practiced a lifetime of, "Well, when this happens, I'll be happier." Cause of course, no I won't. I'll just be waiting for the next change.I think I'll become a monk.... Yeah....a monk's life is the life for me ;). <3

4 comments:

  1. Katie your blog is fantabulous!
    I agree whole heartedly with what you said about learning to be happy with where you are now. You are quite insightful aren't cha?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i try to be....sometimes.....you know, in-between kicking zombie ass and auditioning for musicals....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...

    HEY!!

    I was that friend!!

    I teach you about life?

    All I remember talking about was my depressing state of affairs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you were being so....POSITIVE about everything.

    ReplyDelete